Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"If music be the food of love, play on;

Give me excess of it; that, surfeiting

the appetite may sicken and so die...

That strain again - it had a dying fall;

O, it came oer my ear, like the sweet sound

that breathes upon a bank of violets,

Stealing, and giving odour! Enough! No more!

'Tis not so sweet, as it was before..."

William Shakespeare - Twelfth Night (Orsino)


I remember reading "Twelfth Night" for a class... many years ago and absolutely loving it. It was probably the first Shakespeare book i'd ever read. I found it initially confusing w/ the awkward english...but it became highly entertaining once I got used to it. I remember reciting the above scene over and over 'til i knew it by heart (for whatever reason). I guess some part of me wishes people still spoke like that...making a big fuss about any and everything :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please. It would read and sound so much better if it was written in Pidgin.

"If na music dey make love belleful, knack am;

Organize am kakaraka so teeee

make d appetite kpafuka

...."

You get the idea. Support Pidgin as your countries main language. Down with the colonizers and imperialists!

Anonymous said...

Em, e be like say I don mezzup. No vex, make una replace "countries" with "country's" and "colonizers" with "colonialists". You see am; you see wetin dis yeye English language dey cause?

Down with English! Up Pidgin!

T said...

2 words: seek help!